Saturday 8 April 2017

Part 11: Taking Stock

Nearly a year since I started on this quest and now, I have achieved much, discovered much and only yesterday, I was forwarded information that included a photograph of Mr Chapman himself.
A true pinch myself moment.

That said, I didn't undertake this journey alone. I had help, from many people, most from many different organisations, websites, institutions, companies, libraries and research networks. All of them have helped me in my travels, both online and in real life. They were patient, helpful and the behind the scenes crew that have kept me going.

So, in no particular order, many thanks to:

My family (of course :)
Paul Archer of the Association of Circus Proprietors
Ron Beadle, Chris Barltrop of the Circus Research Network
Curious Fox
Liam Felton
Kathleen Rowe, Nicholas Alen and the other staff at the British Library
Northampton Library
Martyn Jordan at the Northampton Cemeteries  
Find my past.co.uk
Ancestry
Matthew Neill MA at the National Fairground & Circus Archive
Steve Ward
Geoff Burns at the Library of Birmingham
Roger Kershaw at the National Archives
Cathy Galway at the Belfast Zoo
Sarah Steenson at the Belfast Central Library
Luke Sharp, Ann Sylph at the Zoological Society of London
India Florence Birchall at Pen and Sword Books Ltd

Victoria Oakman at the Northamptonshire Archives Services

The journey isn't over yet, so I suspect this list will keep growing until it is.

2 comments:

  1. Wow great read! I came across this blog whilst looking into a local history question. It was if an elephant was buried in Suckley, it is true sadly. Did you ever get to the bottom of the mystery and have you tried ancestry DNA?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I did consider Ancestry DNA. Though considering the information presented and the apparent character of Mr Chapman, I think it’s safe to assume that it was him. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete